Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Perfect Name

I've always been funny with names. For Michelle it was the name I called all of my baby dolls, etc. I always thought I would have a girl first and that her name would be Michelle. Scarlett was a name I always had on the "list" but that was it.
I was lucky that Ben liked the name Michelle, but I didn't want to be the type of girl that was like "Hunny? I have all our kids names picked out - First So and So next So and So and then So and So etc." I wanted to go on the journey together, see what calls out to us as a pair. (He's involved too believe it or not! LOL) When I causally brought up the name Scarlett to him, he actually really liked it! I also don't like disscussing too much openly about my options with everyone for cases like saying "I like this name and this name, and also this one" and having a bunch of opinions including many negative. Because whatever name I choose I don't really want to know that some have expressed hatered towards it! LOL But I don't keep it totally private either like those who keep the name a total secret even from their parents until after the baby is born. None of these methods of deciding are for me.

I went through the process this time, going through the baby name book, discussing meanings and different possibilities. After finding out it was a girl, we did further discussion, Scarlett kept coming back for both of us. I don't care about how common or unique a name is. I'm not the type that consistantly looks at all the types of ways kids can make fun of a name (except for obvious bad names) I figure if a kid is mean enough to make fun of your kid, there name won't be the only thing they'll look for they'll think of something! I don't worry about what other people think, I care about what Ben and I want.

This morning I woke up and just starred out the window just in deep thought, and out of all the names we liked for some reason thinking of the name Scarlett made me feel a deeper connection to this baby. For a middle name we had thought of a bunch, I liked Jacqueline (after Jackie O and with french pronunciation to flow with Clermont) I thought more about women through out history that have smarts, elegance, great fashion sense and great influence. It hit me really hard - Grace Kelly. Scarlett Grace - it felt good!
Telling Ben he immediately loved it! Every time we thought about it, we felt warm and connected!
For those of you who wonder - yes in a way like Scarlett O Hara from my favorite movie since babyhood! But not necessarily AFTER her. But sure its a given I got influence from the film. And I've always been a huge Grace Kelly fan! For Ben, whatever sounds good and feels right, he's on board!

Anyway! There is is! The story of how our new girls name came to be! We love it and are very happy! Scarlett Grace Clermont

1 comment: