Thursday, November 5, 2009

30 weeks

This was an interesting appointment. First off Michelle needed to come with me, my mom and sister where both busy and Ben needed to work. But she was sooo perfect! She didn't fuss didn't cry didn't rebel, she sat in the waiting room reading magazines. Then went with me to the bathroom for the urine sample task, but just admired the wall tile. In the office she found a chair for her size and read a book very quietly. While the nurse took my blood pressure she got real concerned and said "Mama? You ok?" The nurse and I both reassured her everything was fine, but she still looked pretty worried. It was cute! When the Dr came in Michelle was quiet still and stayed calm and sweet all the way back to the car were she fell asleep. I thank God for such an easy kid! I'm too lucky.

Maybe not so lucky in giving birth. There has been this whole C-section mystery. I've heard many things about needing to have one every time after you have one once. Well apparently thats not the case. If the surgery took place due to long time pushing, baby heart rate dropping, preeclampsia while full term, the risks the next time are super low meaning a vaginal birth is 100% ok. You could have a choice of having another c-section, but after 2 its certain to keep going, and me wanting more kids and being young that can cause many problems later on as c-sections get more and more risky.

Unfortunately for my case I had Michelle over 2 mths early and it was my first pregnancy. So my uterus never stretched too far, it was small small. So the healing was different for me, the risk of basically an exploding uterus is high. They give you as much time as they can to ensure the healthiest baby, but that puts me at a 35 week c-section this time. Next visit in 2 weeks we'll know the for sure day I'll be scheduled.

As for the baby, she's healthy and strong. The average case would be she would be premature but will probably only need to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks. Ben and I talked and decided, Hey! We've been through this before, this time it will be a heads up and risks will be much lower. We're going to stay faithful and positive.

I'm really not worried, I love the fact that I will be a mother of 2!

Here is the medical explanation -
The classical C-section is the procedure that leaves women with a large vertical scar across their belly. The doctor makes a vertical incision and cuts through tissue, fat and muscle to reach the uterus, where he makes another a vertical incision. Doctors used this technique in the past to give more room for delivery. But they later realized that there were less complications (and a better-placed scar) if the delivery space were reduced. Today, this method is reserved for specific cases, such as an extremely premature baby. The classic C-section is the best choice in this scenario because the lower part of the uterus doesn't thin out until later in pregnancy. The upper part of the uterus is thinner, so doctors must access the baby that way. Women who have gone through a classic C-section are usually not able to deliver any future children vaginally due to a high risk of uterine rupture.

2 comments:

  1. That is so strange about your uterus healing different b/c of the preeclampsia and early birth. So you are for sure getting sectioned again?
    And what a sweet girl. Scott would have been all up in all that business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definetly getting one again. She explained it way better then I could. They'll be getting into more detail at my next appointment. It mainly has to do with her being so early, preeclampsia dosen't effect it. But we'll be ready!

    ReplyDelete